VA loans are a great way to utilize the VA’s benefits for eligible active duty military and Veterans. When looking to purchase your dream home, consider the many benefits of a VA loan listed below.
• Eligible home buyers are not required to have a down payment in most cases – typically cited as the greatest VA loan benefit. Conventional loans generally require a 5 percent down payment, and FHA loans require 3.5
• No monthly mortgage insurance premiums or PMI to pay. FHA loans come with both an upfront and an annual mortgage insurance charge. Conventional buyers typically need to pay for private mortgage insurance unless they’re
making a down payment of 20 percent or more.
• Limitation on buyer’s closing costs. Sellers can pay all of a buyer’s loan-related closing costs and up to 4 percent in concessions.
• Lower average interest rates than other loan types. VA loans continue to have the lowest average interest rates of all loan types.
• No prepayment penalties. VA buyers can pay off a loan early without any financial penalties.
• Two refinance options. The VA loan program allows homeowners with existing VA loans the option to lower their monthly payment with a new interest rate. Eligible homeowners who financed their property with a loan other
than a VA loan can refinance into the VA loan program.
• Second tier entitlement. Even though many veterans have already used their loan benefits, it may be possible for them to buy homes again with VA financing using remaining or restored loan entitlement.
• An assumable mortgage, typically subject to VA and/or lender approval. You may be able to have someone take over your mortgage payment, which can be a big benefit in an environment of rising interest rates.
• Foreclosure avoidance advocacy from the VA loan program. The VA has staff members who advocate on behalf of homeowners to find alternatives to foreclosure.
Find out if you’re eligible for this powerful home buying benefit